I went with most of the other missionary men for 4 nights ultimately about 7 hours past the last point of real civilization (though this was only probably about 20-30 miles "as the crow flies"). The point of the trip was partially to have some good fellowship, but partially to explore this area for future ministry opportunities. Many of the areas have not been mapped well and we mapped everywhere we went with a GPS system.
Allow me to take you on a quick tour...
We spent much of day 2 exploring the "high jungle." The roads left a little to be desired (this was actually a good one), but the views were beautiful.
The following day, we decended further into the "low(er) jungle" and its thick vegetation.
I spent much of my time in this 1980s Toyota Land Cruiser, a really fun way to see the jungle. It only broke down twice!
Gas stations, of course, are a bit different 7 hours into the jungle. This is "the other Greg" and the local gas station attendant. Greg is holding up a big cardboard box so that the rain didn't mix with our gas.
This is literally the end of the road. It dumps you out on the mighty Urubamba River (which later turns into the Amazon). Greg, Keith (the team leader), and I hiked about an hour further along its banks in search of the "Pongo de Mainique," which is where the high jungle officially meets the low jungle and is heralded as one of the most beautiful places on earth. Unfortunately, I think that we ended up about a mile or so short. Turns out, you really have to take a boat to see it. Oh well...a reason to return...
Incredible pictures, and I love your commentary. I'm glad you're home safely - hope the efforts will bear fruit in the future:-)
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great adventure. I'll look forward to hearing what opportunities develop to treat TB.
ReplyDeleteWow! I know you feel a little like Tarzan! God certainly created a beautiful world for us to enjoy! So glad you got to see and make plans to help those in need! We continue to pray for your ministry there! And we really are excited about coming in Nov. Love and Blessings!
ReplyDelete