Last weekend I listenend to a sermon from our church in North Carolina (thank the Lord for the internet!!). They are currently studying 1 Peter and I decided to listen to the first sermon of the series. The sermon title was "Essentials for Aliens". This got me thinking about the numerous times in Scripture that we are referred to as aliens or stangers on this earth. The examples of faith in Hebrews are described as "having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on earth." Paul reminds the church at Philippi that "our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ."
Living in a foreign country, where I feel like an "alien" at times, this takes on a new perspective. I confess that at times I "long" for home...for family, friends, signs written in English, a Chick-fil-A sandwich, chocolate chips and more paved roads. Do I long for heaven in this way? After all, heaven is my true home.
Even so, I find myself longing to blend in here a bit more than I do. I wish I didn't look so different from the Peruvians and wish that I understood more of what people were saying. But then, does it really matter that I am not a Peruvian citizen and have "American" written all over me? After all, my true citizenship is in heaven, where my Savior awaits.
So then I have to ask myself...do I feel like an "alien" even when I am in the US or am I a little too comfortable with my temporary home (this earth)? That I might learn what it means to be an alien...that I might find my identity more in Christ and see my citizenship as in heaven...that I might long for heaven more than I long for home...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, Amy. You make us all think! We miss you here at home (USA!) for now, though.
ReplyDeleteMom
Amen to that sermon! It's amazing when you are in another country how God allows you to see things differently. Sunday our church voted to cut building and other expenses here at home and send $600,000 to feed the children in India. We have been challenged to sacrifice now and in 2010. I am thankful for the example you and Greg are before our family! Love and Blessings!
ReplyDeleteSo true!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic analogy that we can all learn from. I do wish so much that we could send you the things you mentioned from your earthly home...but I doubt a Chick Fil A sandwich would taste very good after traveling so far! Hope you guys are well! Praying daily for your sweet family.
ReplyDelete